Service Charge Summit 2015
21st Sep 2015
The Service Charge Summit, hosted by Tanfield Chambers and supported by News on the Block, has become an early autumn fixture. The 2015 Summit will take place on 21 September in Central London.
Full agenda and details of all break out sessions are available below and here.
The Summit provides an unrivalled opportunity to hear from and meet barristers who are experts in service charge law.
Many of the past year’s cases raise as many questions as they answer. In the last twelve months, with the landmark consultation cases of Daejan v Benson and Phillips v Francis behind it, the service charge world has considered limitation; dissected variable administration charge clauses, and drilled down into powers of apportionment. Arnold v Britton reached the Supreme Court with an alarming result for the lessees, and the Upper Tribunal heard its first case on recognised tenants’ associations.
All of the speakers at the Summit are members of Tanfield Chambers. In a world where specialism is increasingly the watchword, members of Tanfield Chambers regularly consider and apply new developments in service charge law as advisers, judges and advocates.
The depth of Tanfield’s expertise in service charges is amply illustrated by the tenth anniversary this year of the first publication of its unique “Service Charges and Management: Law and Practice”, a textbook as frequently seen on the Tribunal’s side of the desk as on that of the parties.
The day combines full conference sessions with smaller, interactive seminars where specific problems and questions on a given topic are explored.
Delegates showered the 2014 Summit with praise:
- “2nd Service Charge summit and looking forward to the 3rd. Excellent day.”
- “Case studies very helpful to apply & engage debate.”
- “I was impressed by the overall excellence of the organisation and speakers. The use of exercises in certain breakouts was very appropriate.”
- “Overall still the best CPD seminar available for solicitors in my opinion.”
- “Excellent, packed day, thank you!”
For full details and to book, please visit: www.servicechargesummit.co.uk.
- 08:30 – Registration & Refreshments
- 09:15 – Welcome
- 09:30 – Keynote
- 10:00 – Registrar to the Upper Tribunal
- 10:30 – Break
- 11:00 – Delegates may choose which breakout session (1) to attend
- 12:00 – Delegates may choose which breakout session (2) to attend
- 13:00 – Lunch
- 14:00 – Delegates may choose which breakout session (3) to attend
- 15:00 – Delegates may choose which breakout session (4) to attend
- 16:00 – Break 2
- 16:15 – S.20B: ripe for reconsideration by the Court of Appeal?
- 16:45 – Ellodie Gibbons
- 17:15 – Closing Remarks
- NOTB Subscriber Rate: £250 + VAT
- Standard Rate: £275 + VAT
Expertise: Service Charges
This content is provided free of charge for information purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice and should not be relied on as such. No responsibility for the accuracy and/ or correctness of the information and commentary set out in the article, or for any consequences of relying on it, is assumed or accepted by any member of Chambers or by Chambers as a whole.