- Practice Groups
2001 Called to the Bar Inner Temple
2001 to 2002 Pupillage 2 King’s Bench Walk
2002 to 2004 Tenant Aldbury Chambers
2004 to present Tenant Tanfield Chambers
For further information please contact:
Zoe Bluck, Family Team Clerk, 020 7421 5300
Laura practises exclusively in children and domestic violence law and she has extensive experience of representing parents, grandparents, children, extended family members and local authorities in all aspects of cases that involve children.
Laura's cases include:
- Care proceedings (public law), where there may be issues of physical abuse and non-accidental injury (NAI), sexual abuse, emotional abuse and neglect;
- The full range of disputes that can occur within a family over matters such as:
- Contact (how often a child sees each of their parents),
- Residence (where a child should live),
- Leave to remove from the jurisdiction (when a parent wants to take the child to live in another country),
- Change of name and other problems that can arise over the exercise of parental responsibility.
Laura has acted in many cases where Special Guardianship Orders are being sought.
Domestic violence is an issue which affects many families. Laura has been involved in obtaining injunctions ('non-molestation' and 'occupation' orders) for victims for many years as well as sometimes defending them. Enforcing injunctions and defending people against punishment for alleged breaches of orders ('committal proceedings') is also an area in which Laura has a great deal of experience.
In addition to the usual children law cases, Laura practises education law and has represented parents at tribunals relating to their children's Statement of Special Educational Needs and exclusions from school.
Laura has been rated in the Legal 500 for the past 4 years and is approved to accept instructions via Direct Public Access.
Areas of practice
Children law, including:
- Care proceedings
- Special Guardianship
- Contact (access)
- Residence (custody)
- Leave to remove from jurisiction (temporary and permanent)
- Change of name
- Specific issue/prohibited steps
Domestic violence, including:
- Obtaining and defending injunctions (non-molestation and occupation orders)
- Enforcement (committal proceedings)
- School exclusions & admissions
- SENDist Tribunals
- SEN Advice
- Further and Higher Education disputes and advice
Re C-J  2 FLR 1213
Kerai v Patel  EWCA Civ 600
In the Media
June 2008 Article in Family Law Journal, entitled 'The Impact of the PLO; Examining The Recent Changes To Child Care Procedures'
Summer 2007 Article in FLBA magazine, Family Affairs on the lecture given by HHJ Platt on 'Life After DVCVA Day'
Member, Family Law Bar Association
B Mus Hons (Royal Academy of Music / King’s College, London)
CPE (Westminster University)
BVC; Very Competent (BPP Law School)
Laura is ranked in the Legal 500 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 under Children Law as a leading junior.
'Laura Scott enters the ranking for the first time and is recommended for her work in care proceedings.'
Legal 500 2008
"Extremely articulate & thorough"
Legal 500 2011